President Ram Nath Kovind presented the national award to 46 teachers on the occasion of Teachers’ Day in New Delhi. The teachers were awarded for their exceptional contribution in the field of education.
The teachers were selected following an online self-nomination process. Then after, there was a 3-tier selection process at district, state and national level. The independent national jury then recommended names of 46 teachers. The criterion adopted was to select those teachers who had shown innovation in their work and had added value to the school and their students. These nominated teachers gave a presentation before an independent jury comprising a senior educationist. This ensured that all of them were given an opportunity to place before the jury their contribution and the work done by them.
The basic premise now is that the new scheme should be transparent, fair, and reward demonstrated excellence and performance; and has been inspired by recent innovations in major national awards.
The features of the new scheme are as under:
- Online self-nominations from teachers were invited on mhrd.gov.in. The Web portal was developed by the Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI).
- Applications were received online from teachers from all over the country.
- All regular teachers were eligible and no minimum years of service was required. This enabled meritorious young teachers to apply.
- The number of awards was rationalised to maximum of 47, thereby restoring the prestige of the awards.
- No state, UT or organisation had a quota in the final selection. This encouraged them to compete for the awards.
- An independent jury at the national level made the final selection.
The purpose of national awards to teachers is to celebrate the unique contribution of some of the finest teachers in the country, and to honor those teachers who, through their commitment, have not only improved the quality of school education but also enriched the lives of their students. The award carries a silver medal, certificate and Rs 50,000 as award money.
For complete list of awardee teachers, click here.