Govt Schemes to encourage sports among students/ youth
With an aim to encourage sports among youngsters in India and improve the country’s performance in international sports events including Olympics, Asian Games and world Championships, a number of schemes are being implemented by the government. They are meant to help talent search and development, competitive exposure, coaching/training. Some of these schemes are:
- Khelo India Scheme: It covers all sportspersons, including sportspersons of rural India. Under it, 179 sports infrastructure projects including playfields in rural areas have been sanctioned for development of sports infrastructure facilities. Further, the government has introduced geo-tagging of all playfields in the country and sharing the information with the public (which is in progress). So far, 3,005 playfields have been geo-tagged. The following facilities are being provided by the government to sportspersons under this Scheme:
- Out of pocket allowance
- Lodging and boarding
- Sports kits
- Domestic travel
- Insurance and medical benefits
- Sports science management
- Educational tie-up
- Assistance to National Sports Federations (NSFs): Under it, financial assistance is provided for conduct of national championships, conduct of international tournaments in India, participation of sportspersons in international sports competitions, organising coaching camps, engagement of foreign coaches, and procurement of sports equipments etc.
- Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme: Under TOPS, the government is extending all requisite support to probable athletes identified for the 2020 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games including foreign training, international competition, equipment, services of support staff/personnel like physical trainer, sports psychologist, mental trainer and physiotherapist besides out of pocket allowance of Rs 50,000 per month.
Do you feel strongly about something? Have a story to share? Write to us at email@example.com or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.