10 Quotes which describe best the teaching profession & teachers
Today is World Teachers’ Day. Held annually on 5 October since 1994, it commemorates the anniversary of the signing of the 1966 UNESCO/ILO recommendation concerning the status of teachers. The recommendation constitutes the main reference framework for addressing teachers’ rights and responsibilities on a global scale.
This year, the theme is “Teaching in Freedom, Empowering Teachers,” echoing the 2015 theme that followed the adoption of the new Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs), when teacher empowerment was reaffirmed as a top priority in all education and development strategies.
Exactly a month back, India celebrated its own Teachers’ Day, held annually in honour of the country’s second president Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
September 5 or October 5 – it doesn’t matter which date in the calendar the day falls, the fact remains that teachers shape the future of a country. And that’s what makes them and their profession special. In honour of this noble profession and its practitioners, we have collected 10 wonderful quotes which beautifully describe the importance of teachers in our society and the qualities that make a good teacher:
- “Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions” – Anonymous
- “The only true teacher is he who can immediately come down to the level of the student” – Swami Vivekananda
- “Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important” – Bill Gates
- “A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning” – Brad Henry
- “The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching” – Aristotle
- “The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind” – Kahlil Gibran
- “Good teachers know how to bring out the best in students – Charles Kuralt
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge — Albert Einstein
- “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery” – Mark Van Doren
- “Everyday classroom teaching is not what children will remember, but how you made a difference in their lives” – Nita Ambani