10 Reasons why teaching is a wonderful profession
From our Archives
Often, people in India consider teaching an easy task – one that anyone can do. ‘If you have nothing to do, become a teacher.’ This is how people here look at the profession. But trust us – teaching is not for faint-hearted. It demands a lot of commitment and hard work; and is unlike any other profession. However, the best thing about teaching is that it is filled with rewards (and we aren’t talking about monetary rewards) which outweigh the trials.
Given below are ten such rewards, err, reasons which will make you fall in love with this profession. And for those of you who chose not to be teachers, well, all you can do is envy them.
- Children are fun
- You are surrounded by creative young minds
- There is never going to be a dull moment thanks to the children around
- Your creativity is always at work if you have to keep your students interested in your class
- No two days are exactly the same
- The profession challenges you emotionally, intellectually and of course, creatively
- You have the power to shape so many lives. Every day, you play the role of a teacher, mentor, parent and even a child. You are their super hero.
- You get paid holidays – be it summer break, winter holidays or festivals
- You see your students grow and feel proud when they excel in their life. The happiness only magnifies when, years later, they meet you and thank you for your contribution in their lives
- You have the most important job in the world – you are building/shaping your country’s future