Do you have ideas to change the society?
In this section, we talk about careers which aren’t much sought-after but are worth pursuing. Our focus, this time, is on Social Entrepreneur.
CAREER FOCUS: Social Entrepreneur
Like all other countries, India too has its share of social problems. But if you think you can solve some of the country’s pressing social problems, say in the field of education, health, environment, etc., with your creativity (innovative ideas), then you have what it takes to be a social entrepreneur.
One needs the following qualities to become successful in this profession –
- Creativity – this forms the basis of the whole career
- Practicality of the idea – the idea should be workable, capable of creating the desired social impact
- Entrepreneurial quality – An idea in itself is not enough. It has to be implemented. An entrepreneur knows or is willing to invest time and energy into his venture while remaining realistic in approach. He has an inbuilt drive to challenge the status quo and won’t rest until his goal is met.
- Trustworthy – This is the most important quality as your team members (or employees) will listen to you only if you are able to set the right example for them.
Where to study social entrepreneurship?
Although a formal qualification is not essential, it is beneficial. The following institutes offer courses in this field:
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) – www.tiss.edu
- NMIMS – www.nmims.edu
- IIT Madras – www.iitm.ac.in
- Ashoka Foundation – www.ashoka.org
- UnLtd India, Mumbai – www.unltdindia.org
- Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and CSR, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDI), Ahmedabad – www.ediindia.org
- Centre for Social Initiative and Management (CSIM), Chennai – http://csim.in
- Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA) – www.irma.ac.in